10 minutes - settling into it
- Turn all phones or digital devices off, set the timer (to 40) and off you go.
- Listen to your children's book choices and make sure everyone gets to have their say about what you are reading.
20 minutes - reading
- If your child is reading to you, make this enjoyable, encourage your child to read the words they can and you say the words that they find difficult to keep the story maving.
- This is not a teaching opportunity, it it simply about reading for pleasure.
10 minutes - talking about it
- Ask everyone what they like about the story.
- Make sure you talk about how much you enjoy Bookabees family40 and praise your child for their attention.
Laverne Antrobus, Consultant Child Psychologist, says
By carving out these precious minutes your family will have the
opportunity to connect not only around a love of books and reading
but the simple pleasure of being together and doing something that
everyone enjoys. By committing to this time you will be signalling
to your child just how important you feel it is to create space to
be with them and hear what is on their mind. Many adults remember
the books that their parents read to them when they were younger
and this is at the heart of Bookabees' aim. Recreate these special
moments with your own children and pass on to them a love of reading
and being read to. These moments will form part of their bank of
Join In Today: We hope you'll join us and ditch digital for just
40 minutes today and choose to spend time together as a family.
When you are back online make sure you share your reading experiences
using #BookabeesFamily40 to encourage others to do the same. We love
to hear from you and it's always great to know what books you are
currently enjoying too.